In Oklahoma, a ten-year-old boy is being hailed a hero after he saved his mother from drowning in the family’s backyard pool after she suffered a seizure and got stuck in the water. The heroic moment was captured by the family’s security cameras and shared by the family to highlight how Gavin Keeney rushed to his mother’s rescue after she began to seize, lifting his mother’s chin above the water so she would still be able to breathe.
The dramatic moment occurred on August 5, 2022, on an otherwise peaceful day in Enos, Oklahoma. Security footage from the family’s home shows how Gavin rushed to his mother’s rescue as soon as she began to have a seizure while swimming in the backyard pool.
Video footage shows Lori, Gavin’s mother, convulsing in the pool. Gavin quickly dashed to her rescue, rushing up the ladder to the pool and diving in to help his mother. As soon as Gavin reached his mother in the pool, he lifted her head, so her chin was above the water. Because Gavin was not able to lift his mother entirely out of the pool, he simply kept her head above water until she was able to regain consciousness. Gavin reportedly did not call for help at all and rescued his mother all by himself like a brave boy.
Toward the end of the home security footage, Gavin’s grandpa Stephen Lowe appears by the pool. He manages to lift both Lori and Gavin out of the water, so neither suffered from drowning that day in Oklahoma.
Lori was eternally grateful to her young son but described the horrifying incident as “one of the scariest moments of my life.”
While Gavin was able to keep his mother’s head above water, one of the Keeney’s dogs alerted Lowe, who lived in the house next door. As soon as Lowe realized that the dogs were calling for him, he rushed to save his daughter from drowning, only to find that his grandson had beaten him to it.
Lori told Storyful, “I was told later that he never asked for help. My dad, who lives next door, heard the dogs barking, and he ran out and jumped in as Gavin held me on the ladder and kept my head above water.”
Lori eventually decided to share the home security footage with her friends and family on Facebook, describing the August day as “one of my worst nightmares came to life this morning.” Lori admitted that she was “hesitant” to share the video with her Facebook friends because it was “very, very hard” for her to watch and that she doesn’t like “for people to witness when I have a seizure.”
“I’m okay. I took in just a little water, we think, before Gavin got me. I can’t believe I just said that. I can’t believe I’m typing this. I CAN believe what I saw in Gavin, my little hero,” she said.
This wasn’t the first time Gavin saved his mother’s life. Back in May 2021, Lori started choking, and Gavin rushed to help. He administered the Heimlich maneuver. However, Gavin wasn’t able to clear the chip from his mother’s throat, so he called 911 and told firefighters where she was.
“He’s been through so much with me and my health, and he handles it with such grace and maturity,” Lori said. “Proud isn’t enough of a word!”
Every time you share an AWM story, you help build a home for a disabled veteran.